Fuzhou is the capital and one of the largest cities in Fujian Province, People’s Republic of China. Along with the many counties of Ningde, those of Fuzhou are considered to constitute the Mindong linguistic and cultural area. Fuzhou’s core counties lie on the north bank of the estuary of Fujian’s largest river, the Min River. The Yuanhe Maps and Records of Prefectures and Counties, a Chinese geographical treatise published in the 9th century AD, says that Fuzhou’s name came from “Mt. Fu”, a mountain located northwest of the city. The city’s name was changed numerous times between the 3rd and 9th centuries AD before finally settling on Fuzhou in 948.
Fuzhou White Pagoda originally was built in 905 with 67 meters high, but collapsed in 1534 AD after being stuck by lightning. It was rebuilt in 1548 AD with 41 meters high and seven-levels, white color, and octagonal shaped. Fuzhou Black Pagoda (Wu Ta) is facing the White Pagoda in opposite direction. The Pagoda began the construction in 944 AD by King Wang Yanxi during the Five Dynasties. At the time of his reign, The King feel under threat, so he decide to build a pagoda to pray to Buddha, asking for protection. Originally planned with nine levels, but The King was executed, thus the construction was halted at seven levels. The Black Pagoda was a dark-gray granite construction, with seven levels, octagonal-shaped and 35 meters high. The White Pagoda and Black Pagoda are known as Fuzhou Twin Pagoda, and they become tourist attraction in the capital of Fujian province. From either of the Twin Pagoda, people can have a bird’s eye view of Fuzhou. During the Lunar New Year Festival, both of them are decorated with lanterns, serving an incredible night-sight in Fuzhou.